Build great teams, strong leaders, lasting relationships and award-winning projects. The Business Unit Leader is responsible for the overall direction, successful performance, and financial outcome of their assigned Business Unit. Build with us.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities-
- Enforce the company safety program in accordance with the company's best practice policies, local, state, and federal laws.
- Be responsible for overall Profit & Loss of the managed Business Unit; meet company expected budgeted financial performance through the creation and execution of a Business Plan for the managed Business Unit. Develop strategies and accountability measures to ensure success.
- Lead the Business Unit through the assimilation of the company’s Core Values and philosophies to develop and enhance the employee experience
- Promote and ensure compliance with the company’s Subcontractor Default Insurance (SDI) and bonding policies.
- Promote and ensure compliance with the company’s Professional and General Liability and Builder’s Risk policies. Submit and manage associated claims when they occur applicable to the relevant policy.
- Develop new and maintain existing business relationships with Owners, Architect/Engineers, Construction Managers and Subcontractors as necessary to ensure future business opportunities focused on the managed Business Unit.
- Research, analyze and possess a working knowledge of current market conditions including pricing conventions and trends.
- Develop and track leads for upcoming projects and those in pre-development, actively work with Strategy and Acquisition to bring in new and repeat work in line with the business unit’s pursuits. Be responsible for the overall direction of the managed Business Unit including making required Go/No Go decisions on projects pursued.
- Review, negotiate and execute all Prime Owner and subcontractor contracts. Terms and conditions agreed to as are consistent with company policies and positions.
- Actively participate in industry organizations at the board level; represent the Company at networking functions, trade shows, etc.
- Provide leadership to Project Team(s) to provide structure, develop objectives/goals for each and assign individual areas of responsibility. Coach direct reports using the company coaching program to lead and develop talent to grow the business unit.
- Lead the preconstruction and bidding process, providing constructability, schedule and process input though the partnership with the Preconstruction group. Interface with Owners and CMs during the preconstruction process to sell the work and close the contract.
- Work in partnership with the Strategy and Acquisition team in responses to RFPs, providing narratives, logistic plans and schedule input. Lead Project Team(s) in preparing for and participating in interviews and presentations.
- Oversee contractual performance of all projects in the business unit to ensure compliance to scope, schedule and quality.
- Lead and hold accountable the business unit Project Teams in the preparation of the monthly company Project Reviews, confirming proper presentation of project risks and financial management.
- Oversight review and approval of subcontractor applications for payment and vendor invoices for the business unit via Pvault.
- Oversight approval of business unit team time sheets.
- Keep accountable the Project Teams during a project close out process required for the business unit projects to facilitate timely release of retention, enhanced customer service and favorable letters of recommendation.
- Mentor and train project team members to support their growth and development within the organization.
- Collaborate with Talent Acquisition to source new talent for the Business Unit and the company meeting hiring objections to positively manage the workflow and coach employee to career growth and development.
- Promote the use of the latest technology and software to complete the business unit projects supporting company initiatives to stay ahead of corporate peers.
Knowledge, Experience, and Special Skills Required-
- Commensurate experience in managing complex construction projects, multiple project teams, accurate financial reporting and proven positive project financial results with demonstrated experience in risk management.
- 10+ years experience in construction management and business development
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Business, Engineering, or Related field
- Proven track record of client satisfaction and profitability
- OSHA 30 hour, First Aid and CPR certifications
- LEED Accreditation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Procore, Bluebeam, Pvault as well as an understanding of Primavera scheduling and BIM
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Trustworthy, self-motivated, passionate and dedicated to high-quality work
Individuals should be able to reach above and below, stoop and bend, sit, walk and stand. Individuals should also be able to lift, carry and/or moving items up to 50lbs. May be exposed to heavy machinery/equipment, hazardous chemicals and extreme weather conditions. Minimum of 40 hours per week required. Works hours will vary depending on project requirements, and may involve weekends and night work.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work required. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, physical job demands and working conditions associated with the job. Successful candidate will seek additional duties to master.